- Mushroom Poisoning Syndromes (NAMA)
- Preventing Mushroom Poisonings (Bay Area Mushroom Society)
- Toxicology Brief: Mushroom Poisonings in Dogs (Veterinary medicine)
- Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs and Cats (NAMA)
Edible or Poisonous?
There is no quick and easy test that will separate edible from poisonous mushrooms. Try to identify each and every mushroom you collect, then only eat those whose identification you are absolutely sure of. When in doubt, throw it out.
People resources for identifying a poisonous mushroom; contact only if you suspect a poisoning!
- NAMA volunteer identifiers – listed by location
- Emergency identification for mushrooms and plants – Facebook group
Get Help Immediately
Consuming any amount of any poisonous mushroom can be very dangerous. Call the Poison Center immediately if anyone ingests any part of a mushroom that you suspect is poisonous. If you have any pieces of the actual mushroom always save it in a brown paper bag. Many mushrooms can look identical but be very different.
is the telephone number for every poison center in the United States. Call this number 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to talk to a poison expert. Call right away if you have a poison emergency. You may also call if you have a question about a poison or about poison prevention.
Remember the phrase:
There are bold mushroom hunters and there are old mushroom hunters, but there are no old bold mushroom hunters. — A wise person
Voluntary NAMA Poison Case Registry
After the incident, help document mushroom poisonings by submitting an online report to the NAMA Poison Case Registry. It is important to file a report, even if the result was only a gastrointestinal upset. NAMA tracks all mushroom poisonings. NAMA also desires reports about known or suspected toxic species that have been consumed without obvious adverse effect.