Mushroom Picking Permits

There are varying regulations for mushroom picking in the state of Oregon. Below, you will find the majority of these for various forest lands. Many of the areas do not require any mushroom permits for picking one gallon per day. But, regulations do change, so always check with the applicable government agency or landowner before venturing into the forest to pick mushrooms.

On CMS member forays we occasionally visit Deschutes or Umpqua federal forests that require a permit. Obtaining a free use permit by phone before the trip is strongly encouraged.  

Table of Contents

Parking Passes

You may also need a federal, state, or other local parking passes to park your car. However, if you are a senior you are eligible for a lifetime National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass. You must be a US citizen or permanent resident and age 62 or more. With this pass, you have free access to more than 2000 federal recreation sites. It covers entrance fees at national parks and national wildlife refuges. It also covers entrance and standard amenity fees for a driver and all passengers in a personal vehicle where you would normally have to pay. More information at the National Park Service

Commercial Use Permits

Picking mushrooms to sell will always require a commercial permit and include more restrictive limits on the areas you may harvest. Similarly to person use permits, commercial permits are issued separately for each state or federal forest area.

Private Land

Never enter onto or pick mushrooms on private land unless you have the permission from the landowner.


Truffle regulations and permits are different from other wild mushrooms.  Effective July 1, 2014, Oregon House Bill 2615 requires all persons to obtain a permit to collect truffles on both private and state-owned forestland.  You must request and obtain a permit from the landowner.  The Bureau of Land Management, Salem District, is offering permits to harvest truffles on designated BLM lands in Northwest Oregon. You may only harvest with the assistance of a truffle dog.  Link to Salem BLM Truffle Permit Requirements


Be aware that matsutake mushrooms sometimes have different regulations than other wild mushrooms. If you are hunting matsutakes, even for personal use, be sure to read the regulations below carefully. Or, just do a quick search (CTRL-F) on the word matsutake.

Camp Grounds

If you have been ‘shrooming for any amount of time, you have probably noticed that mushrooms love campgrounds.  Please be aware the rules for a campground may differ from the general rules for the park or forest lands in which the campground resides.  Always check to see if there are any signs about picking mushrooms and/or forest products.  If there are no signs, follow the rules for the park or forest land the campground is located within.

Fortunately, many campgrounds close down sections in the fall, or in some cases an entire campground closes.  Picking in a closed area or campground is best.  If you do go into an occupied area do not disturb the campers.  Unless they ask questions, then feel free to tell them about the joys of foraging for mushrooms.

State Lands

Oregon State Forest Lands: If collecting for personal use, no permit for collecting from state forestland in the Astoria, Tillamook, Forest Grove, North Cascade, or West Oregon Districts.  The limit for personal use is one gallon per vehicle at any one time.

Oregon State Parks and Recreation Areas: Oregon state law 736-010-0055 states, “Unless otherwise posted a person may gather for personal consumption of berries, fruits, mushrooms, or similar edibles in quantities not to exceed five gallons per person per day.”

Federal Lands

Bureau of Land Management (BLM) – There are no requirements for a permit to collect mushrooms for personal use on lands managed by the BLM.  Up to 1 gallon of mushrooms per person per day.

Crater Lake National Park and Oregon National Monuments – No mushroom picking within Oregon National Parks and National Monuments.

Wilderness Areas – You may collect and consume mushroom within Wilderness areas.  You may not remove mushrooms from Wilderness areas.

Siuslaw National Forest (Central Oregon Coast) – No permit or fee for quantities less than one gallon per person per day. Up to six matsutake mushrooms per day for incidental/non-commercial use. To remove their commercial value, cut all matsutake mushrooms in half length-wise.

Ochoco National Forest (Central Oregon, popular for Morels & Spring Boletes) – A free use permit allows you to gather up to two gallons per person per day – details here. You may obtain a personal use permit at a US Forest Service Office or Ranger Station – Locations here.

Willamette National Forest (Central Cascade Range), Deschutes, Fremont-Winema, and Umpqua National Forest – These four forests all issue a free use permit that is valid for any of these four forests. However, there are some differences between the 4 forests:

  • The Willamette National Forest is no longer requiring a permit for collecting up to 1 gallon of mushrooms (other than Matsutake), per day, for personal use/consumption.
  • The Willamette, Deschutes, and Fremont-Winema forests all require a commercial permit for picking Matsutake mushrooms. Link to requirements here.
  • The Umpqua National Forest now issues free use Personal permits and free use Matsutake permits via phone or email, more information here.

All Willamette National Forest Offices and ranger stations are still issuing personal use mushroom permits for those who wish to collect up to 2 gallons per day, and as a convenience for those visiting the forests that do require a permit. Permits expire on December 31st of each year. 

Obtain a personal use permit by phone

You may obtain a personal use mushroom permit valid for the Deschutes, Fremont-Winema, Umpqua, and Willamette forests by calling any of the phone numbers below. The hours for answering the phones are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., closed on federal holidays. You will need a valid photo identification such as a drivers license.

  • McKenzie River Ranger District57600 McKenzie Hwy, McKenzie Bridge, OR 97413, 541-822-3381
  • Middle Fork Ranger District46375 Highway 58, Westfir, OR 97492, 541-782-2283
  • Sweet Home Ranger District – 4431 Highway 20, Sweet Home, OR 97386, 541-367-5168
  • Detroit Ranger District – 44125 North Santiam Highway SE, Detroit, OR 97342, 503-854-3366
Links to Official Regulations/Permits: