If you would like more information about volunteering or would like to receive an email (no commitments) when a new volunteer opportunity is available, send an email to email@example.com.
Volunteering can be both fun and rewarding. If you would like to read about one CMS members experience with volunteering for CMS, read “Why I Volunteer” by Sandy Patton.
The following Volunteer opportunities are currently available:
Volunteer Coordinator – The CMS Board is looking for someone to match volunteer tasks to volunteers, and keep the CMS Board informed on the status of activities being fulfilled by volunteers.
Co-Lead a CMS Foray – You do not need to be an expert at anything to help co-lead a CMS foray. The only requirement is to be comfortable with being outdoors in the woods. All you will need to do is show up at the designated gathering place [on time] and assist the foray leader with duties such as taking attendance with the provided roster, doing head counts, and just generally keeping a watchful eye on foray attendees. You may also be asked to buddy up with someone that is not as comfortable with being out in the woods You will be able to foray and gather mushrooms.
We currently need co-leaders for these forays (not yet finalized, awaiting final foray schedule):
October 21, 2017 – Mushroom Festival Collection, foray to the Coast, Foray leader is Cheshire Mayrsohn.Thanks for Volunteering Glen Neal! October 27, 2017 – Wherever the Mushrooms Are foray to collect for the Mount Pisgah Arboretum Mushroom Festival. Foray location is TBD, Foray leader is Harriet Kelly.Thanks for Volunteering Eva Swaim!
- November 18th or 19th, 2017 – Thanksgiving Foray, Location TBD, Foray Leader TBD.
- January Foray – Dates, Location and Foray Leader are TBD.
- February Foray – Dates, Location and Foray Leader are TBD.
Lead a CMS Foray – Please read the CMS Foray Leader Requirements.
We currently need a Foray Leader for these foray dates (not yet finalized, awaiting final foray schedule):
November 18th or 19th, 2017 – Thanksgiving Foray, Location TBD, Foray Leader TBDThanks for Volunteering Joe Spivack!
- January Foray – Dates, Location and Foray Leader are TBD
- February Foray – Dates, Location and Foray Leader are TBD
NAMA 2018 Foray Location Scouts
The National Foray for the North American Mycological Association (NAMA) will be held near Salem Oregon in mid-October of 2018. CMS has volunteered to provide all of the Foray Leaders and foray locations for this event. We are asking CMS Members to spend some of their Mushrooming time this season to scout for prospective foray locations for this event. NAMA will be providing large vans to transport participants from Salem (near the intersection of I-5) to the foray locations.
Foray locations should be
- Have a diversity of mushroom species, not just Chanterelles. Some participants will want to collect edibles, but a variety of species, both edible and non-edible, is preferred.
- Within a 90-minute drive of Salem (the shorter the better). If you are mapping drive times, you can use this address as a starting point – 2887 74th Ave S 973E, Salem, OR.
- Able to accommodate parking for 1 or 2 large vans.
- Accommodate 20 to 30 foray participants.
- The terrain for Foray locations should also be somewhat easy to navigate – no major uphill hiking.
We are looking for locations both east of Salem (Hwy 22 corridor to the west, Santiam State Forest, Detroit Lake, Breitenbush Area), and west (H.B. Van Duzer Forest State Scenic Corridor, Bob Straub State Park, Cape Kiwanda Recreation Area). There are also several State Park within an easy drive of Salem: Willamette Mission State Park, Champoeg State Park, Molalla River State Park. If anyone has done any successful mushrooming in these areas, we would like to know. Any location that meets the above requirements will be welcome.