Chanterelle buyers?

Posts to promote or advertise businesses, ventures, book exchanges, swaps, etc. should go here. Posts in this section are in no way endorsed by the Cascade Mycological Society.

Chanterelle buyers?

Postby aartod on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where or how to sell Chanterelle mushrooms in the salem area? I have been picking them for a number of years now for personal use but now due to the economy and whatnot would like to try to sell them if possible. I can collect small or large quantites depending on what someone would want... If anyone knows of a buyer in the salem/santiam canyon area please let me know! By the way, I have never sold them before, so what is a fair price? I have seen them at the grocery store for just around $10 a pound.. but they always look so terrible and old! I am not looking to get rich off selling them, just a little extra income to help get by... Thank you for any information!
aartod
Mycena Newbie

Re: Chanterelle buyers?

Postby chickenofthewoods on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Hey there,

Sorry I didn't notice your post before, or I would have come in and responded...

Firstly, I do not know anything about buyers near Salem. I can try to find out here soon, from a friend who might know.

Secondly, you have to decide who you are selling to, and you have to know where they are available and for how much... here in Eugene I have to keep up with the local distributors prices, and I have to keep my standards for quality high... I do resist the urge to drop below $5/lb for chanterelles... I sell directly to chefs, so I'm actually a little higher than what they can get them for, but the cleanliness and quality make up for it. If you see them for $10, they were probably $5 to them, wholesale. Which means the picker probably got no more than a dollar a pound. Buyers - and the industry in general - are not really there to help you make money...

I'd say go visit all of the chefs you can with product. Be sure to have presentable mushrooms at a good price. I've been selling chanties at $5/lb since about September 15th. This year was the best year for chanties in the ten years I've been in Oregon, so I struggled to keep my price at $5. The holidays make a difference. Quality and quantity make a difference. the whole thing is very complex.

Good luck out there.

peace.
IS IT EDITABLE?
chickenofthewoods
Caesarea Forum God

Re: Chanterelle buyers?

Postby sailingmushroom on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:57 am

I am interested in if you are still planning on picking mushrooms this season. If so I might be able to help you I am going to be opening up a mushroom buying station this year in salem and I am looking for a couple of good mushroom pickers to join the team. I am also a mushroom picker so I understand the frustration sometimes so I am going to try and be a fair as possible when buying. I dont need to make all the money on one deal so trying to make sure the pickers are happy and my customers are happy. Please let me know. thank you
sailingmushroom
Mycena Newbie

Return to Fungi Commerce -- Buying, Selling, Trading