Cascades 2016

For all things fungal related or not.

Cascades 2016

Postby Ikonoclast on Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:46 pm

Edulis is just starting at high (alpine) elevation, went out yesterday following the adage: "when the prince fruits in the valleys, the king is fruiting in the mountains".

Kept on running into matsi shiros, spotted by actual mushrooms or the plethora of allotropa out there. At really high elevation, the allotropa was sill "green" and some were nowhere close to being done growing. In these areas the matsi's were not popping yet. At "lower" elevations the allotropa was already finishing its cycle and turning brown.

On the hike down from the alpine areas, spotted a small clump of brown allotropa which led to a really nice patch of matsis. Remember that the active/fruiting part of the shiro may be some distance from the allotropa, so look around. Also check humps, most of these were not visible at all, some were under bear grass as well. Although this was a hunt specifically targeting edulis, backpack was stuffed to the brim with buttons, could not resist mining out these beauties which were within a 3 sq. ft. patch.

Love the small ones (I call them #0's, when the pileus is smaller, the same, or only slightly larger than he stipe) sliced lengthwise in various Japanese dishes, will be drying most of these. Based on what I saw out there, I want to say it will be a great year for cascades matsi's, but that's just observational bias. There is no such thing as "bad" years, that concept does not exist in nature!

Good Hunting!
Last edited by Ikonoclast on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikonoclast
Cantharellus Junior Member

Re: Cascades 2016

Postby drfugawe on Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:56 pm

Yo amigo - nice finds. Did you get an exact measure of the elevation there? (the highest areas in the Coastal Range are about 2300-2500' - thinking about doing a trip there soon).
“In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
Ben Franklin (I'm willing to bet that old Ben was a shroomer!)
drfugawe
Cantharellus Full Member

Postby Ikonoclast on Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:57 pm

I did not, but I can tell you it was MUUUCH higher than the peaks of the Coastal Range. It was all 4000' - 6000' where I was in the Cascades. But I am sure there is plenty to find across the Coastal Range as well, probably queen boletes coming up somewhere. Good luck!
Ikonoclast

Postby Spectoreyes on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:49 am

The members of the Central Oregon Mushroom Club had to head over the passes to find fungi, the local mts produced little for some reason, but by heading over the Santiam pass and Willamette pass areas they all found many fungi including all the usual specimens such as Cantharellus, Tricholoma, Sparassis, Ramiria, Russula, Polyozzelus, Boletus, Hericium, etc etc etc in much abundance! The club also had 3 fall meetings with speakers such as Dr Skye Weintraub and Dr Steve Carpenter. All in all a great fall for fungus lovers! :lol:
Running with the Dogs
Spectoreyes

Return to General Discussion