It has begun!

For all things fungal related or not.

It has begun!

Postby priollaud on Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Today we visited sites between Salem and the coast and, much to our surprise given that it's only mid-July, we found pristine lobster mushrooms, pounds and pounds of perfect young chanterelles, and hedgehogs. Not yet a bolete of any kind, nor any candy caps or cauliflowers. Time to get out! This is most likely an early flush that will dry up in August heat before (hopefully) a fall harvest. I'll post pictures soon (over the size limit to do from my iPhone).
priollaud
Mycena Newbie

Re: It has begun!

Postby Harborseal on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:37 pm

Congratulations!
Bob C.
Harborseal
Caesarea Forum God

Postby Spectoreyes on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:41 am

Yahoo! Seems early, but then numerous people have been posting on face book sites about finding on the coast from Newport to BC Canada. Guess that coastal fog and rain gets them going!
Running with the Dogs
Spectoreyes
Cantharellus Junior Member

Postby Rozites on Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:45 am

In Virginia (where I used to live), chanterelle season pretty much comes and goes in July. This is the first year I've been here in Oregon that we've had significant rains during the summer, so it's not that surprising to me that mushrooms are starting to pop. I found 4.5 pounds of hedgehogs a couple weeks ago and have found a few of the beach-type chanterelles (maybe the same that some call "rainbows"?), but so far none in their usual places in the fir forests near me.
Rozites

Postby akforager on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:52 am

Early here in Alaska too!
6.5 lbs of rainbow chanterelles on July 13 - earliest I can ever remember. Also one king bolete, 4 gypsies, 8 matsutake, shrimp russulas, yellowfeet, orange coral, and chicken of the woods. It's actually really dry here, we need a good soaking to get things going.
- Mike
akforager
Mycena Newbie

Postby priollaud on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:55 pm

We spent the weekend near Lincoln city, Oregon, and although it was hot and dry, we still found quite a few chanterelles and one nice patch of perfect chicken of the woods. The highlight currently is the lobster mushrooms, they are absolutely perfect and plentiful! We shall need some rain soon, though, or everything is going to dry up until the fall.
priollaud
Mycena Newbie

Postby Dona on Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:43 pm

Went out Sunday to check for Chanterelles. Found about 10 small to medium size in good shape. It is still dry in the forest. But its a start. Happy the season is starting.
Dona

Return to General Discussion