Wine Caps

For all things fungal related or not.

Wine Caps

Postby Ikonoclast on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:38 pm

Have been inoculating Wine Caps (Stropharia rugosoannulata, aka garden giant, king stropharia, etc.) on woodchips since this past fall. Very aggressive fungus, which makes it really easy to propagate.

I am growing spawn on any hardwood chips I can find, usually 5 gallons at a time (plastic bucket with 1/2" vent holes drilled in sides). Using the anaerobic/aerobic "sterilization" method, with great results: at room temp, 5 gallons take about 2-3 weeks to completely colonize. Using the spawn to inoculate spots all over the place, from my garden to any woodchips I find on my walk to/from work.

One of the patches I started early on this past fall at my community garden plot has put out its first flush a week ago on some birch chips. Of course the slugs instantly had their share, and who knows what the deer will do (have done a number on my tulips and artichokes this year), but I have inoculated enough spots to hopefully get a good harvest.

Usually the first garden mushrooms I see coming up (naturally) are these cup ascos, perhaps a Peziza sp.. Back east a very similar mushroom went by the name "buttercup mushroom" that was supposedly edible. Seem to prefer coniferous woodchips, usually come up around Feb/Mar, these came up in Jan in a greenhouse.

Good Hunting!
Last edited by Ikonoclast on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikonoclast
Cantharellus Junior Member

Re: Wine Caps

Postby Ikonoclast on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:56 pm

________
Last edited by Ikonoclast on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikonoclast

Re: Wine Caps

Postby blockward on Fri May 06, 2016 11:29 am

I've found reducing pics to 640 x 480 usually does the trick.
Amateur mycologists have questionable morels.
blockward

Return to General Discussion