First morels of the year!

For all things fungal related or not.

First morels of the year!

Postby cr_ on Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:32 pm

These were under a tarp in our yard (Ruch, OR), a spot where they have not grown before. Maybe they were attracted to the soy sauce?
IMG_7795_morels+soysauce.JPG
cr_
Mycena Newbie

Re: First morels of the year!

Postby Pistilwhipped on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:39 am

Those are nice! Finding morels so close to home would make my week, that's for sure.

We've been searching out some different areas for morels. There are some Willamette Valley, august 2015 burn areas (fir- steep terrain), I've visited but they were pretty much scorched earth. Lots of tiny 1/4 inch orange jelly cups growing directly from the exposed soil- a mix of clay and small gravel. We saw periodic groupings of schizophylum commune growing from both burned fir and madrona. There were a few scattered brown jellies, 2-3 inches wide, growing from underground roots.

My next forays will be at an old apple orchard and a big local nursery. I live in Tillamook so maybe I'm jumping the gun. I've never searched for morels before this year and have only ever found them due to wild chance and the laws of entropy. I've been reviewing posts at this and other forums to find the annual sweet spot for morels.

I love to hear peoples opinions, if you have advice I am ready to learn from it! If I miss the morels this year, the next edible should be chicken of the woods?
Pistilwhipped
Mycena Newbie

Postby kraemer on Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:36 am

Not only have they popped-- they're pooped out in the valley.
I gathered about 150 in the last 3 weeks. most now are dried and fried.
However- I found 3 on a mountain at 1800". time to get high. -cheers
kraemer
Cantharellus Junior Member

Postby priollaud on Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:33 pm

We looked near suttle lake at roughly 3600ft and found six morels, all very young and fresh. Two weeks of warm rains (it was too dry) should be perfect.
priollaud
Mycena Newbie

Postby RyanT on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:10 am

Mountain morels are definitely out there. We found over 100 this weekend. The spot we're going to is always an early spot though.

image.jpeg
RyanT

Postby Dimitri on Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:58 am

Hi,

Great haul- Congrats!!! Those look fabulous. Can you say if you were on the east or west side of My Hood and at what elevation?

We looked at 1500 to 2500 Ft on east side of Hood last weekend and only found very small ones. Maybe too early that high, or not enough rain.

Thanks!
Dimitri
Mycena Newbie

Postby RyanT on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:58 pm

Sure, it's on the East side. We found them above 3,000'. I'm not sure why but the spot is early. I looked 2 and a half weeks ago and there were none, but the ones up there now are mature.
RyanT

Postby Dimitri on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi Ryan,

Thanks! I guess we just missed finding them last week and were maybe too low. Did not think they would be out that high this early. We'll try again this week. Good luck on your future hunts!!
Dimitri
Mycena Newbie

Postby Spectoreyes on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:02 am

Hello from the East side, Sisters Oregon that is: In previous years, few Morels before May, but they are getting going, a few folks started finding them in fire areas at 4000 feet elevation a couple weeks ago, and the Naturals have been making a limited appearance now also. Nice moisture has been falling this last few days, with a warm up coming this weekend, so as May fast approaches, the Morels and Spring Boletes should begin to fruit well! :lol:
Running with the Dogs
Spectoreyes

Postby Rozites on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:24 am

While looking at a Sisters web site last week I noticed it said the local temperature was 96 d. Is that true?
Rozites

Postby RyanT on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:33 pm

We are thinking of heading to eastern Oregon for a trip this weekend. Does anyone know how the timing of morels out there compares to east side of hood for example? We found some in Ocoocos last year but that was late in the season. Not sure if the start of the season was the same time..
RyanT

Postby Spectoreyes on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:14 am

96 in Sisters? Well, a couple weeks ago, we did have a warm up, right around Mid April, Temps in the mid to high 80's, I think one day was 86 Degrees, maybe that was the day it said 96! but I don't think we broke 90 yet! Since then, it has been chilly again, temps in the 50's and 60's and freezing at night. This coming week looks like perfect mushroom weather with temps in the 60's and 70's and some occasional showers. Went hunting by Metolious today, found a couple pounds of Morels, they are just getting to fruiting now, another week should see things popping right along, have not found any Spring Boletes yet, although some Corals are popping up here and there. Right now there are thousands of Orange Cup fungi in full maturity, they usually seem to preceed Morels by a couple weeks.
Running with the Dogs
Spectoreyes

Postby Spectoreyes on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:19 am

RyanT wrote:We are thinking of heading to eastern Oregon for a trip this weekend. Does anyone know how the timing of morels out there compares to east side of hood for example? We found some in Ocoocos last year but that was late in the season. Not sure if the start of the season was the same time..

All I can say is, I have not found any above 4000 feet yet, but they are and have been fruiting in burn areas since April 15th, there was a big fire in Ochocos 2 years back, (Summit to Mitchell area) maybe some fruiting there. Other than that, most folks around here head to the Ochocos near end of May and on into June.
Running with the Dogs
Spectoreyes

Postby Rozites on Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks, spectoreyes. That 96 d. temp seemed really strange to me. Current temps look more reasonable.
Rozites

Postby Spectoreyes on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:15 am

96 degrees in Sisters in April, that would be an astonishing record! I am thinking the thermometer is in a place that can get over heated perhaps! 96 in late June, July or August is normal though.

Some Boletes rex-veris found by some folks on Thursday near Jack Creek area, tiny bottons, but here we go! :lol:
Running with the Dogs
Spectoreyes

Next

Return to General Discussion