Boletes on Coast

For all things fungal related or not.

Boletes on Coast

Postby SiuslawShroomer on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:46 am

When do the good boletes (kings and similar) start showing on the coast typically? I have been looking around here in Florence and nothing much happening.
SiuslawShroomer
Cantharellus Full Member

Re: Boletes on Coast

Postby mycena on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:10 pm

It depends on the fall rains but typically mid October would be a safe bet.
mycena
King Boletus Senior Member

Postby michele palmieri on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:15 am

What about going more north. like around Cannon Beach, Tillamook Bay?
michele palmieri
Cantharellus Junior Member

Postby chickenofthewoods on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 am

Our coastal boletes are good old fashioned Boletus edulis, and as such are strictly cool weather loving, fall mushrooms that generally only fruit after there has been quite a bit of rain. As has been suggested, October is an excellent time for them. There is very little chance of ever finding them in July.

However, if you are looking for kings, you could be focused on the Spring Kings, which are up in the Sierras and Mt. Shasta and the high cascades. They are still fruiting. Nowhere near the coast. Up above 4,500'. On the East side probably about 6,000. These are a different species of Boletus, and they are thermophiles.

The monsoons have begun in the Rockies as well, which brings out the porcini from Montana down through New Mexico. I have several reports of them having started already, which is to be expected at this time of year if the rains come. These mushrooms fruit at elevations from 7,000' all the way up to 11,000' - as long as there are trees. This is also a different species, with a reddish cap. Roy Halling says they are Boletus pinicola. Beautiful, robust, abundant mushrooms in July and August...

Furthermore, in some years I have been told that the Boletus edulis up high in the Cascades, which is associated with Englemann Spruce, can start this early. I have not seen this phenomenon, so I don't have a lot of advice. Supposedly this is around high mountain lakes, like Waldo and Odell. Still, though, this is very hit or miss.

And lastly, there are the misfits that don't necessarily make sense to me yet. You might find some Boletus barrowsii somewhere with Pines, if you are lucky. These are the White King Bolete, and are my favorite of the boletes with regard to flavor. I have only found them in the Rockies, but they do occur in the PNW. I just don't know where to get them. Wait, actually, I have found them in the Ochocos once, many years ago, in July...

In short, no. I would not look for Boletes at the coast in July, except that this year is the strangest July I've ever experienced in Oregon, so I wouldn't doubt if there were some weirdos out there... the coast of Oregon is the last place I would look for boletes in July, and if I were to look, it would be all the way up near Astoria, as wet and cold as I can get in Oregon...

Good luck!
IS IT EDITABLE?
chickenofthewoods
Caesarea Forum God

Postby michele palmieri on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Thank you for your advice.
Quick question, are the Boletus Rex Veris still around on the east side of the cascades?
Worth a try from Crovallis?
Thank you,
Michele
michele palmieri

Postby Harborseal on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:45 pm

A week ago I pulled some fresh R-Vs from 4700 feet in a shaded area. It never hurts to look. That same day I found some at 5200 feet in a very sunny area.
Bob C.
Harborseal
Caesarea Forum God

Postby michele palmieri on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:02 pm

A week ago I was in Italy and went for a hunt (around 1000mt chesnut/birch/pine wood). I picked quite few nice Aspen and birch leccinum. Are there anythings like those in Oregon?
and by the way, do B.Edulis actually grow in Astoria / norther Oregon area?
Grazie,
Michele
michele palmieri

Postby Harborseal on Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:35 pm

You might want to check out this article http://leslieland.com/2009/07/wild-mushroom-warning-the-scaber-stalks-leccinum-species-may-no-longer-be-considered-safe/ , but we do have leccinum species here.
Bob C.
Harborseal
Caesarea Forum God

Postby SiuslawShroomer on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:53 pm

I found several Scabers last fall over here but refrained from eating them because I didnt have a 100% ID and also that abovementioned article........dont need any adverse shroom reactions :shock: :mrgreen:
SiuslawShroomer
Cantharellus Full Member

Postby tizzzy222 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:39 am

I would start looking now. As for someone mentioning white kings they do grow in the Willamette Valley under oaks in late spring if it is wet and warm enough above 75 degrees. If we have enough rain throughout the summer you will find them all summer long. This year was to dry and I never found a one. Also for the boletes on the coast look under two needle pines.
tizzzy222
Mycena Newbie

Postby barnyard on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:57 pm

I went to a few bolete spots in and around Seaside on Tuesday. Nothing was up yet, not even suillus, leccinum, russulas, am.musc., the usual culprits. A gorgeous and huge laetiporous sulphureous, though.
barnyard

Postby Pistilwhipped on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:26 am

I have been going out every other day or so in the Seaside/Manzanita area and found no boletes or chants yet. The misty mornings have brought out the COTW and the lobsters though. Found several new COTW spots and pulled 10 lobster mushrooms or so. If we got a good rain right now I'd expect to see some King's out in two weeks or so.
Pistilwhipped
Mycena Newbie

Postby Rozites on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:57 am

In Lincoln City/Newport area there have been a few small rainbow chanterelles in spots but we had zero rain for over 50 days, so they didn't get much encouragement. The dry streak broke with a quarter-inch rain last week - not expecting much out of that. Boletes usually don't show until at least late September. I'm getting a few lobsters; they're very light and dry.
Rozites

Return to General Discussion