Fall Fungi of 2017

For all things fungal related or not.

Fall Fungi of 2017

Postby Spectoreyes on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi all you Fungal Lovers, I am starting a new discussion for this Fall! I hope some of you all forgo Face Book and get into some nice posts here, in between hunting and finding out there!

First, I live in Central Oregon, but I have a family member in Newport area, and she found a nice few pounds of beautiful Chanterelles Yesterday! Yahoo! Bring on this supposed rain storm this coming week!

I myself, have checked some of my good ol spots, both on the Eastern side of the Cascades (Cascade lakes area, like Cultus Lake) and the Western side of the Cascades, (Santiam Pass area) and even though the forest is Dry yet, I have found some King Bolete and some nice tight Chanterelles in the amount of a good 25 pounds now! Also found Chicken of the Woods, numerous Albatrellus, like hundreds of them, some nice Amanita Muscaria, and some young Dyer's Polypores!

Ok, get to hunting, and do post some fun info here again this year, and maybe see you at the Mt Pisgah Festival!

Yours in Mushrooms

Laurence Boomer

COMC

:lol:
Running with the Dogs
Spectoreyes
Cantharellus Junior Member

Re: Fall Fungi of 2017

Postby Harborseal on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Congratulations on the great finds!
Bob C.
Harborseal
Caesarea Forum God

Postby Happyinthewoods on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:03 am

Just curious if Albatrellus pes-caprae was part of that Albatrellus hall. Many people talk about harvesting Albatrellus ellisii which tastes like abalone.
My favorite is the Albatrellus pes-caprae which reminds me of Sweet Potatoe French fries. One of my favorite mushrooms, but I find it difficult to find.
Happyinthewoods

Postby Spectoreyes on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:00 pm

All the Albatrellus I found where ellissi. I have not found the pes-caprae so far!
Running with the Dogs
Spectoreyes

Postby Dona on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:49 am

Finally, chanterelles are coming up. Not a lot, but enough for a few meals. And of course, we are gone for two weeks on a trip. Hope to get enough to put up in the freezer. Happy hunting to you all.
Dona

Postby Spectoreyes on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:54 am

Many sizeable hauls of Chanterelles coming out of the Santiam and Cascade Lakes regions :D
Running with the Dogs
Spectoreyes

Postby Boomer on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:38 am

I was hunting in the coast range the weekend of 23-24th, a spot that I go to early in the Fall season, it's always loaded with Chanties but not much of anything else. This year I found 30-40 lobster and a huge bloom of COWs. In the 10 years of hunting this spot, I've never found lobster there, so very surprising to find several large patches. Anyone else finding more lobster than usual?

B
Boomer

Postby Spectoreyes on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:04 am

Well, I just got back from the Umpqua river area, this year is the first year I went to hunt mushrooms there, found some truly Spectacular Chantrelles! I would still be there today, but a nice snowstorm blew me out of there yesterday evening! :lol:
Running with the Dogs
Spectoreyes

Postby Stumptown Steve on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Central Oregon coast, matsutakes. Image

where we were, just starting to push. Image

in a different spot, found one king bolete.

Happy Hunting, folks.

Stumptown Steve
Stumptown Steve
Cantharellus Full Member

Return to General Discussion