Poisoning Alert

                                                                                                                            

Oregon Poison Center   Fast Facts   1-800-222-1222

 

ALERT      –   AMANITA SMITHIANA MUSHROON POISONING

We have had several cases of Amanita Smithiana that has caused acute renal failure in the last few weeks.

This mushroom is often mistaken for the pine mushroom or matsutake mushroom, even by experienced foragers, as these grow together in the autumn in the Pacific Northwest.

These usually taste good; therefore the person consuming them does not think they are the wrong mushrooms.

The persons may have mild to moderate nausea and vomiting anywhere from 4 hours to 24 hours later.

Liver function tests may be elevated for the first few days, but the toxin cause renal failure with rising creatinine over several days, and in some cases have required dialysis.

FORAGERS:

Be certain before eating, check with an expert.

Save a mushroom from what you plan to eat so if you become ill we can try to identify it.

PHYSICIANS:

In patients with nausea and vomiting ask about consulting mushrooms in the last few days before onset of symptoms.

Consider getting full chemistry panels to included creatinine and LFTS.

Save an extra red top blood specimen for possible analysis.

IF someone has one of the mushrooms have them bring it to the Emergency Department and we can try to find a local mycologist to identify it.

CALL the poison center to report all cases   1-800-222-1222

You may also like...

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!